Each of Hertfordshire’s ten districts has adopted, or is currently preparing, a local plan guiding development over a 15-20 year timeframe.
Six districts have an adopted plan: the Borough of Broxbourne, East Herts District, North Herts District, Stevenage Borough, Watford Borough, and Welwyn Hatfield Borough. You can read these plans on the local authority’s own website.
For the other four districts in the county, local plans are in preparation, subject to public consultation at pre-defined stages. Status as of 25 October 2023 is shown in this chart: Local Plan Overview
If your district is conducting a consultation on its local plan, here’s what you can do.
- Visit your council’s website to learn more about the details of the plan and the consultation timetable and closing date.
- Contact your parish/town council and attend any local meetings about the plan.
- Find out if there is a local campaign or residents’ group working on a response to the plan.
- Raise your concerns with your District Councillor(s) and MP.
- See below to read examples of our responses to other local plan consultations in Hertfordshire.
- See our Planning Explained booklet (PDF 4.84 MB), produced jointly by CPRE and the National Association of Local Councils, to find out more about the local plan process, including neighbourhood plans.
- Email us with your views so that we can consider including them in our response to the council – we would need your comments ideally two weeks before the consultation closing date.
- Respond to the council’s consultation and send us a copy.
- Encourage others in your area to respond to the consultation.
- Join CPRE Hertfordshire or make a donation – the more members we have, the more influence we can have. As a charity we rely on membership subscriptions, donations and fundraising for all of our work.
Recent CPRE Hertfordshire submissions and responses are available below.
Please contact us if you have a query. We are happy to provide advice as time and resource allows, but please understand that our CPRE members always receive first priority – please click here to become a member.