Senior Planning Volunteer
Are you recently retired, or working part-time, with some time available to volunteer? We are seeking a new part-time senior volunteer to join our Planning team.
Together we monitor and respond to significant planning applications that may adversely impact on the countryside and the Green Belt throughout Hertfordshire.
This is a flexible role, preferably 2 – 3 hours per week, either at home or in our Welwyn village office.
What will you be doing?
You will work closely with our Planning Manager in researching several significant planning applications each month and writing an initial draft of the Charity’s submission to the relevant Hertfordshire local planning authority. Depending upon your interest and availability, there may also be the opportunity to assist with the Charity’s involvement in planning appeal Inquiries.
Typically the salient issues may include:
- Inappropriate development on designated protected land such as the Green Belt or the Chilterns Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Cumulative impact related to other development proposals
- Prematurity relative to an emerging Local Plan, or contrary to an adopted Local Plan
- Issues pertaining to transport, water, heritage assets, biodiversity, or best and most versatile agricultural land
What are we looking for?
You should have meaningful prior Planning experience, ideally within a local planning authority, as well as:
- the interest and ability to research and synthesise relevant planning cases, planning policy, prior site history, etc
- good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to make sense of complex information
- readily available access to a computer and the internet at home, and have up-to-date computer skills including Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel
- be detail-oriented, well-organised and reliable, and able to commit to volunteering regularly with occasional attendance at meetings in-person or virtually
What’s in it for the volunteer?
By volunteering with us, you will be making a positive difference for the countryside and be a part of a friendly and committed team of staff and other volunteers. You will also become a part of the wider CPRE network with access to events, workshops, and professional colleagues across England.
For more information or to apply please contact Eliza, our Volunteer Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also wish to download the Senior Planning Volunteer role profile, for reference.
The Hertfordshire countryside is wonderful – help us to look after it.