Children’s Art Competition
Our mission is to protect, promote and enhance the Hertfordshire countryside for everyone to value and enjoy.
To help young children and their families connect with the countryside and perhaps think about it in a different way, we run an annual Children’s Art Competition. We set a different environmental or nature-related theme each year and invite all primary school aged children throughout the county to enter and to express themselves through art.
CPRE Hertfordshire is delighted to announce our 2021 Children’s Art Competition
Our annual Children’s Art Competition encourages children to engage with the natural environment around them. The competition, which this year has the theme The Colour of Nature, is open to all primary school children in Hertfordshire. Prizes include £500 in vouchers for the Overall Winning School.
The benefits of young people engaging with the countryside have never been more important:
- Children’s mental, physical and emotional health and wellbeing are improved by being in nature and looking at nature.
- Art and nature are likely to have a part to play somewhere on each School’s Development Plans.
- The countryside and nature bring topics to life across many aspects of the primary school curriculum.
- Appreciation of and connecting with nature is key within the teaching of climate change awareness.
- Art is an inspiring media for engaging with many children and has numerous known emotional, physical, cognitive and learning benefits.
For all of these reasons we hope that as many primary schools as possible will take part in this year’s Children’s Art Competition. We are also delighted to receive art direct from individual children if their school decides not to participate.
Full details including terms and conditions of entry are available here.
Deadline for entries is Friday 26 November. Judging and prize giving will be completed during the spring term.
We look forward to receiving wonderful artworks capturing the colours and beauty of our amazing Hertfordshire countryside.
For further inspiration, please watch our video below featuring the winning artworks from our 2020 Children’s Art Competition.
Children's Art Competition 2020
You can see the winning artworks from our 2020 Children's Art Competition in this lovely video. The original theme for 2020 was 'My Favourite Walk in Hertfordshire'; when we entered the pandemic lockdown a second theme was then added 'What I Can See Through My Window'.